Sunday, April 1, 2012

Antianxiety

Hello Everyone,
I’m writing here from New York where I am celebrating my birthday.  I was listening to the sounds out on the busy streets this morning and heard several fire trucks zoom by.  It reminded me of 911 and I imagined what traumatic sounds must have been coming from the NY streets that day.  I wonder if those who experienced the sounds have post traumatic stress disorder triggers when they hear sirens of any kind. 
If any of you have experienced anxiety or traumatic stress, you know that emotional doom that can overwhelm your spirit and body.  For cancer patients, the ongoing doom might come from a new body pain that won’t subside, or a nagging cough, or a lump under your skin, or an abnormal blood test.  Nothing compares to the doom I felt when Dr. Reisman told me I had cancer.  I remember his words crystal clear and I remember the feelings that followed and followed and followed…
Anxiety and stress try to creep back into my life often and I imagine it will be this way for a while.  For the most part, distraction works as a good coping mechanism for me, but oh my! it sure does take work.  When I am anxious, distraction might come in the form of walking into another room, praying out loud, listening to music, yoga, putting my face in the freezer or visualizing something empowering.  I might inhale deeply and exhale through pursed lips.  Or, call my mom or meet with some golden friends to talk it out, which always helps.  Bottom line, figure out what works for you when you are anxious.  We cannot let “C” overwhelm our spirit.  Damn you Cancer!


Be Well, I’m off to celebrate some more at www.candle79.com!         

No comments:

Post a Comment