Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tomorrow Brett and I will host a group of about 50 family members and friends for a thanksgiving feast.  We have a colorful menu planned with a wide representation of the food guide pyramid.  In my head, I have visualized the perfect anticancer thanksgiving plate- spinach salad with berries and onions, roasted mushrooms with garlic, and a medley of steamed brussels and broccoli tossed in olive oil.  Of course there is a glass of fabulous red wine along with walnuts and dark chocolate for dessert.  But, this is only a vision.  I am sure tomorrow I will also enjoy tasty turkey and a few potatoes! 

Have you thought much about what you are eating tomorrow?  If you are normal, yes, you have planned, obsessed, salivated and dreamt about your thanksgiving meal.  Will your grandma make her famous creamed corn casserole with bacon bits on top?  Or maybe fry that turkey in peanut oil?  What about some instant potatoes made with cream and butter?  Many of our families have food traditions.  Unfortunately, the evolution of processed foods and factory farms has hampered on many of these kitchen creations.  It’s hard to know exactly where our food comes from, where that turkey that you will eat tomorrow came from.  Last week the NY Times ran a story about slaughtering your own turkey.  It was an interesting read focusing on one farms commitment to minimizing the discomfort of the animals and the importance of knowing where your food comes from. 


Have a wonderful day filled with many discussions on giving thanks.  I’ll share with you that I am thankful for another year.  Another year of breath, parenting, and purpose.  I know I’ve said this before, that I’m glad to grow old.  And speaking of, my grandma turned 99 yesterday!  Can you believe?  Here I am pleading with God to make it to age 39 and here she has 61 years on me!  It’s good to know there are some longevity genes somewhere in my body!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment