Monday, July 23, 2012

ON again


Hi Everyone,

After a long (too long) hiatus from juicing, I am ON again.  I picked up my half share from Rawfully Organic co-op last week and thought  I really need to start juicing again.   I had stopped during our move for many reasons (none of them good).  The sound of my Breville was refreshing and brought a smile to my tummy.  The staples for my favorite juices are- ginger, lemon, kale, carrots and cucumbers.  Anything else is a treat.  Today I added blackberries and strawberries and the result was strawberry lemonade.   

Since moving to the west side of Houston, I have been trying out many different grocers and markets.  My favorites: Whole Foods, Costco and Rawfully Organic co-op.  Yes, Whole Foods is expensive, but they have some pretty good sales and you can never go wrong with their meat and produce.  I love what they stand for and their commitment to local farmers and organic.  And a bonus- the employees are kind and helpful.  Costco is another favorite.  They sell organic in bulk and have great, I mean GREAT prices.  And finally, Rawfully Organic www.rawfullyorganic.com .  This co-operative was started in 2007 by a gal on a mission to support her raw way of eating in a budget friendly way.  At Rawfully Organic, volunteers gather every week to sort out what the farmers have grown and divide them evenly into shares.  Orders are placed online to reserve a share and pick up is at various locations around Houston.  My pick up is at Nottingham Forrest Club every Thursday from 4:00-7:00.  It’s a small thrill to see what is in the boxes (every week is different depending on the season).  I pay $48 which I think is a bargain.  Last week my box had: pink lady apples, fuji apples, nectarines, peaches, okra, a pineapple, a watermelon, kale, lettuce, cucumber, cilantro, broccoli, 2 huge zucchini, celery, bananas, roma tomatoes and oranges.  Whew, that is a lot of cancer fighting foods!

Folks, take advantage of the foods we are blessed with in the summer.  What comes from the earth is medicine to our bodiesJ. 

Strawberry Lemonade!
  
My Breville juicer

Yummy juice!


Be Well,

No comments:

Post a Comment