Thursday, July 28, 2011

An Anticancer Legacy

David Servan-Schreiber, doctor, neuroscientist, advocate and incredible inspiring author died at age 50 this week from a malignant brain tumor.  David changed my life when his book Anticancer: A New Way of Life was recommended to me after being diagnosed with breast cancer.  I have since lived by many of his beliefs of taking care of the body, mind and spirit as means of fighting cancer.  He truly was one of my heroes.  He was diagnosed with brain cancer 20 years ago and was only given 6 years max to live.  After a recurrence, he made a drastic change in his lifestyle and went on a crusade to teach others.  Last year in May, the brain cancer came back and had spread to other organs.  As reported in the LA Times, at the time of this second recurrence he stated: "Death is part of life. It happens to everyone. Profit from now, do the important things.  I am convinced that 'Anticancer' has played an important role in the fact that I survived cancer for 19 years when the first diagnosis gave me only six at the most." 

As I sit here this morning with my berries and green tea, I am thinking about these last 3+ years of my life.  A flash of a colorful collage goes through my mind of all the anticancer changes I have sought to implement.  I owe many of these changes to David.

I will pray for his wife and his three children that they will celebrate their daddy all the days of their lives, knowing that he touched many in this world, promoting hope and life.

You can read more about David at http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/scimedemail/la-me-david-servan-schreiber-20110726,0,5480879.story

Be Well and Live,

No comments:

Post a Comment