Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sleeping in Seattle

Hi Everyone,
I was gifted with a short getaway trip to Seattle with my husband Brett. He is here for training and I am here to relax and be still. I love this city as it is filled with clean air, fresh salmon and friendly people. Our hotel room overlooks downtown with the Puget Sound in the background. It's walking distance to a variety of shopping boutiques and malls. Did I tell you how much I enjoy this city!

This week I received several emails regarding friends of friends newly diagnosed with cancer. I am constantly reminded that cancer is all around us. What can I do, what can you do? Live WELL! Living well can help keep cancer at bay. And keep you feeling well. On the plane ride up here I read an article about the mind's power to heal. Herbert Benson, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital is the founder of the Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine. He recently published a study showing that meditation, tai chi, yoga, exercise, prayer and a variety of similar practices can alter a person's gene activity, changing the expression of genes related to stress and inflammation. Now, we're talkin! Dr. Benson believes daily practice of relaxation is necessary to sustain the changes. You can read more about Dr. Benson's work in his new book, Relaxation Revolution: Enhancing Your Personal Health Through the Science and Genetics of Mind Body Healing. Sounds like a great read for all of you who practice evidence based medicine.

This just in from the Wall Street Journal: Diabetes, cancer and other chronic illnesses on the rise in China. Chinese people more health conscious. The solution: Nestle, PepsiCo and Coca-Cola hoping to attract customers by selling health food to China. What?? Isn't that an oxymoron! I wonder if they are going to create organic diet coke? To be continued....

I'm off to explore Seattle,
Be Well,

No comments:

Post a Comment