Saturday, October 30, 2010

Orange You Glad You Are Drug Free!

This week was Red Ribbon Week, the mission being to present a unified and visible commitment toward the creation of a drug free America.  The kids participated in themed days showing their pledge to be drug free.  On Tuesday, the committee passed out oranges during lunch for “Orange you glad you are drug free” day.  It was a huge success with children eating lots of oranges.  A few of us had to go in the cafeteria kitchen to cut up oranges.  We were working next to an industrial sized vat with boiling brown water.  Turns out they were boiling the patties for the hamburgers in the lunch line.  Ugh!  It was disgusting!  I’m sure it wasn’t real meat, but rather a mixture of animal parts and preservatives.  Now, we let our kids buy lunch every now and then, when we need to go grocery shopping or if we are out of town and the kids are staying with grandparents.  But, this scene made me cringe and reminded me of the work we need to do with our school lunches.

I thought I would share with you some of the food I have been buying for my kids’ lunches and how I have been saving money.  I try to shop at Costco once a month to stock up on school lunch food and snacks.  Costco sells a lot of organic at great prices compared to Whole Foods, Kroger, Randalls and HEB.  If I can’t get to Costco, I try to shop at Whole Foods on a Wednesday because you get the prior week and present week of sales in one day.  Kroger is my neighborhood store of choice.  My Kroger has a decent organic section.  The best part is that sometimes the organic products go on clearance (I guess because no one is buying them) and the prices are slashed atleast 50%.  If you know me, I don’t like to pay full price for anything and love to find a great deal at the grocery store.

Here are some of the things I purchased at my last Costco trip:
Pita Pal hummus 32 oz. for $5.99 *** $2.99 for 8 oz. at Whole Foods and HEB
Hummus lunch packs x 16 for $4.99 ( .31/ea)
Annie’s bunny snacks x 36 for $10.99 ( .31/ea) *** $4.39 for 6 pack at WF, $4.49 at Kroger
Snyder pretzels x 36 for $6.99 ( .19/ea)
Horizon organic choc or vanilla milk x18 for $13.99 ( .78/ea) *** $1-$1.25/ea at Kroger
Agave nectar by Wholesome 23.5 oz. x 2 for 7.49 *** $6.99/ea. at WF, $4.99/ea. at Kroger
Bunny Luv organic carrot sticks x 24 for $5.99 *** $3.49 for 10 at HEB, $2.49 for 4 at WF
Organic spinach 16 oz. for $3.79 *** $5.99 at WF, $3.99 for 5 oz. at Randalls
Pacific organic broth 32 oz. x 6 for $9.99 ($1.67/ea!) *** $3.69 x 1 at WF, $3.99 x 1 at Kroger
100% Grade A maple syrup 32 oz. for $12.29 *** $19.99 at WF
Pirates Booty puffed rice/corn 10 oz. x 2 for $7.39 *** $6.99 for 1 bag at WF
Cherub tomatoes 32 oz. for $4.99 *** 16 oz. for $3.99 at Randalls, Kroger, $4.49 at WF
Stretch Island fruit leathers x 48 for $10.59 ( .22/ea)
Maranatha organic almond butter 26 oz. for $5.99 *** 6.39 for 12 oz. at Kroger
Organic milk half gallon x 3 for $8.99
Organic eggs, cage free, grass fed x 18 for $4.69

I also frequently purchase mushrooms, berries, grapes, apples, brie and frozen organic veggies at Costco.

On cereal.  I have searched and searched for a good cereal.  My husband and kids have all tested various brands and flavors that are organic or whole grain or have extra fiber, etc. (most of them have received a thumbs down).  I have finally found a cereal that everyone likes and I approve of.  It’s Envirokidz organic Gorilla Munch.  You can find it at WF and Kroger, it has a big photo of a gorilla on the front.  This cereal only has 3 ingredients- organic corn meal, organic evaporated cane juice and sea salt.  Plus, it’s gluten free!  A 10 oz. box sells for $3.99 at WF and Kroger.  A couple of weeks ago I was checking out at Kroger and there was a basket of items marked down at the front.  Gorilla Munch was marked down to $1.50! ( no, they weren’t expired).  I bought 7 boxes!

On meat.  I buy meat and fish from Whole Foods, generally whatever is on sale.  Costco also sells organic chicken and ground beef at decent prices.  Eventually, I will learn about meat from local farmers.  We just don’t eat a lot of meat at home.  The kids don’t notice and if Brett does, he doesn’t comment.  I make a lot of soups, salads and beans.  Bottom line is that what I have read on anticancer living supports a plant based diet more than a meat based diet.

On produce.  I try to buy organic and especially try to go by the dirty dozen list by the Environmental Working Group  http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php.  My latest task is trying to figure out how to eat seasonal foods.  Who knew that some fruits and veggies travel thousands of miles to get to the states just so we can have them year round.  Based on the list from Monica Pope’s farmers market, it looks like the current produce in season for Houston is eggplant, okra, peppers (sweet, chili), zucchini/summer squash, snap beans, spinach, long beans, tomatoes, onions, pickling cucumbers, yau choy, potato leaves and persimmon.
 
The next time you are eating lunch with your child at school, think about those boiling patties and you will probably be encouraged to pack their lunch!
                         

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw Gorilla Munch at Walmart! I didn't note the price (we don't need any) just that they have it. Andie loves it and it tastes just like Captain Crunch. Yum!

    ReplyDelete