Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Anticancer


Who would have thought I would be the author of a blog on cancer prevention.  Wow!  It still shocks me all over again.  My mind is spinning as I think about the goals I have for this project.  And to be honest, I have been really nervous about it going live.  I pray that I can be a link to many helpful resources for you or your loved one.  There will be many tweaks as I enter the world of blogging.  It’s all new to me, so bear with me.  There is a lot to share!

The term anticancer has been widely used in recent years to describe choices a person can make to prevent and fight cancer.  For me, this lifestyle choice encompasses mind, body and spirit.  In other words, peace, nourishment and presence.  I have learned the hard way that healing isn’t just about taking a prescription, using Neosporin or getting more rest for a couple of days.   It’s a lifestyle and one that I work on daily to keep in check.  I realize that even very healthy people get cancer.  Only God knows the answer to this.  I can only hope that the positive changes I make will keep cancer away from my body- FOREVER, as well as other diseases and ailments. 

My favorite all time book on fighting cancer is Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber, M.D., Ph.D.  It has been a life recipe book for me.  I LOVE this book because Dr. Servan-Schreiber brilliantly writes in a way that gives hope.  And if you are a patient or family member, you know we all need hope. 

Here are some great links on an anticancer life:

Interview on CBS with Dr. Servan-Schreiber

Presentation at MD Anderson by Dr. Servan-Schreiber

A segment on the Dr. Oz show about the anticancer diet

A segment on Oprah with Michael Pollan

Whew!  Made it through my first entry!

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely WONDERFUL idea Amy! You will be perfect at this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Amy! It is just awesome. So many people are going to benefit from your blog and all of your experience and knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being such a wealth of valuable information....and an inspiration to all of us. Live well, Dear Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU'RE AMAZING! While the rest of us talk about doing something like this, YOU make it happen! I'm so proud of you!

    Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about your blog! I was just telling a friend this morning that I need to start living as a survivor (meaning making healthy choices in all of life) and not like my cancer is over and so I'm back to the same old routine, same food, same busy-ness. You have been an encourager throughout, but I am so happy to have you encouraging all of us in how to be as healthy as we can. Thanks for having the courage and passion to do this!!

    Love,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Amy! There are so many people out there, lost, searching for what they're put on this Earth to do. I truly believe that God's will for you was to experience everything you and your family has been through so that you could make a difference in this world, whether you've encouraged 1 person or a million. He knew that you would not give up on yourself and utilize everything that he has offered you; faith, strength, support and courage. I find your words very comforting, although I didn't lose my Dad to breast cancer... cancer is cancer no matter where or what it is attacking, we all suffer the same grueling relations that it brings with it. I admire and stand behind your endeavors 100%!

    Keep it up,
    Allison Rizzo
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Amy! You are a beautiful friend with so much to share! So excited for your blog!
    Live, Laugh, Love,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job Amy! I am excited to read your blog! Thank you for supporting and thinking of me as go through my cancer experience. You will be a great source of education and encouragement for so many by doing this! I am excited for you! Love, Kris Martinez

    ReplyDelete